Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mira - II Krishna

KRISHNA

As music swells up, we hear a man's voice calling out to Mira. The light changes once again upstage, slowly revealing the inside of a palace. A shrine, containing an idol of the Goddess, set on a platform large enough for two people to sit on, is pushed in downstage left. This area is lit where the grandfather and granddaughter will sit and pray. In the ensuing conversation between Rao Duda and the young Mira, the older Mira exits. The year is 1510.

Rao Duda, from without, coming in: Mira! Mira!

Mira, twelve years old, comes running in: Yes, dada... I am here.

Rao Duda: There you are, my sweet, where did you go?

Mira: I was picking flowers for your puja, dada... here they are...

Rao Duda: Thank you, dear child. Shall we sit? [She nods to him and they proceed. He lights a lamp, and hums to himself, preparing for the ritual, while Mira watches.] Today I shall sing a song to Kali ma, asking for her protection and blessing. He begins to sing.

Kali Maheswari Parvati Shankari
Sharanam sharanam sharanam ma
Kali Maheswari Parvati Shankari
Sharanam sharanam sharanam ma

Mira: Dada, who is Kali ma, really?

Rao Duda: Why, she is the divine mother herself... the goddess who protects you and me and our whole family...

Mira: But she didn't protect my mother... He is speechless. She took my mother away, didn't she, dada... Insistently She took my mother away, didn't she?

Rao Duda: Your mother was very sick, so Kali ma took her away so that she wouldn't suffer anymore...

Mira: What kind of divine mother is she to take my mother away... maybe she hates me... maybe Kali ma hates me....

Rao Duda: No, Mira, that's not true...

She jumps up, with tears in her eyes, and begins to run. As she moves upstage, the light changes: the darkened stage is lit only by corridor lights coming from specific points which black out as she reaches them. The effect is one of her running hither and thither towards the light, but this continues to elude her. Props brought in earlier, such as pillars and sets are pushed out in the half darkness as she moves from one place to another, showing her movement in different parts of the palace.

Rao Duda: Mira, wait! Wait, my child.

Spot goes out on him and the shrine articles are removed. As Mira runs "out" almost frantically, the cobbler Ravidas enters downstage in the half-light just as Mira crashes into him. They are outside in the garden - a shrub discreetly placed behind them during her "running" sets the scene. A spot is focused on them.

Ravidas: Whoa! He is momentarily stunned, his bundle is on the ground, and Mira looks up, quickly wipes her tear stained face and helps to pick up his things.

Mira: I am sorry... I didn't see you...

Ravidas: You were running with your eyes closed, my child...

Mira: I am sorry... let me help you with your things...

Ravidas: It's all right, child, my things are worthless... they belong on the ground anyway. [He slowly gathers them to him, looking at Mira. All of a sudden he picks up a cloth bundle and quickly rummages through it... and pulls out a Krishna idol, looking at it lovingly for any sign of damage.] Ah! He's all right. No harm done.

Mira: What's that?

Ravidas: You mean, who! Child!

Mira: All right, who is that?

Ravidas: My friend... Krishna.

Mira: Your friend...! May I have a look? [He hesitates and then shows it to her.[
Krishna... [She gazes at the idol.] How handsome he is! [Her eyes open with excitement, and seeing this the cobbler quickly holds the idol tight to his chest. She is surprised at his gesture but something is urging her.] O, please, let me look at him again... I thought he was smiling at me... please...

Ravidas: Just to look... [and he slowly shows the idol to her again.]

Mira: There he is, smiling at me!

Ravidas: He smiles at every girl... [She moves in for a closer look.]

Mira: He is smiling at me... wait, I think he wants to tell me something.... [Pauses, as if listening.] What's he saying? What's he saying? Let me hold him, so I can hear him... [Mesmerized by her spontaneous familiarity, he stares at the young girl as he holds out the idol to her.] O Krishna, how handsome you are. Why is it that I have never seen you like this before? [Pause.] What did you say? [She bursts into an infectious giggle.] I am the sweetest girl you have ever seen? O! I wish I could take you home with me...

Ravidas: Huh!

Mira: Is he for sale?

Ravidas, grabbing the idol from her: No! Would you sell your friend? He is the only one who listens to my nonsense...

Mira: I wish I could have a friend like him with me all day... [Pause.] Will you come again tomorrow?

Ravidas: Why, child?

Mira: So I can come and see him again. When you come... if you come, will you bring him? Will you let me look at him again? Maybe he will speak to me again.

Ravidas: Why do you think he will speak to you?

Mira: He told me he would... [Pause. She looks at the idol fondly while the cobbler glares at her.] Thank you sir, for letting me hold him. I must go back now and tell my grandfather that I have seen Krishna. [She turns to leave.]

Ravidas: Wait, child. [She rushes back and kneels in front of him, expectant. Looking intensely into her face, he puts the idol into her hands. She gasps with joy.]

Mira: O!

Ravidas: He is yours now. Take care of him. You must bathe him, dress him, feed him, sing to him, and put him to bed... I know you will be telling him many things... When you talk to him, tell him not to forget me, poor old Raidas, the cobbler...

Mira: I will surely do that...

Ravidas: What is your name?

Mira: Mira...

Ravidas: Sing his praises, Mira... Already I know he loves your voice, sing for him...

Mira, singing: Mine is the mountain holder, Gopala, there is no one else...
My heart is filled with him, Gopala, he is my very self...
Mere to giridhara gopala, dusara na koi

Music begins to fill the air and this refrain is elaborated on, with Mira's voice taking on a greater intensity. It becomes richer as the lights fade out on stage... IN THE DARKNESS, we continue to hear her voice, its sweetness carrying us into a mood of love and devotion. The music reaches a crescendo and at its height, it seems to be holding its breath, a stillness descending upon us unexpectedly, and then, from a distance, the sound of drums, voices, and a sarangi... the sound of a crowd - it is a wedding procession.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home