Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mira - VII Satsangh

SATSANGH

Just outside the ramparts of the royal fort. A congregation of devotees, a motley crowd of poor and not so poor, crosses the stage from left to right. They are singing one of Mira's bhajans dedicated to Krishna. As they exit upstage right, the clip clop of horse hooves and horses breathing. Enter downstage left, in half darkness two noblemen with their servants. They begin to shroud themselves with orange robes, concealing their rich attire.

Akbar: My dear Tansen, I hope our adventure into Mewar just to hear Mira sing will be truly worthwhile.

Tansen: Indeed, my emperor, I know it must be. The fame of her heavenly singing has come so often to my ears, I can no longer resist the urge to hear her sing.

Akbar: Well, I too am moved by your words. If Tansen whom music lovers everywhere regard as the voice of the gods, can be moved by just hearing about such a person, there must be a sublime experience waiting for us. But my heart trembles not a little at both the prospects of losing our lives in enemy territory and of hearing this nightingale.

Tansen: If we are careful, my emperor, our disguise as holy men in saffron robes will keep us safe. It is reported by our scouts that Mira opens her shrine to all, allowing a congregation of worshippers to offer their songs to her Krishna. I am sure we can safely mingle with those who are gathered there without being noticed.

Their dressing is done except for Akbar's jeweled turban. He looks at Tansen for approval, and Tansen cocks one eyebrow in the direction of the royal turban. Akbar quickly removes it and hands it to one of his men. Tansen nods with a smile. We hear the distant song of the congregation fading in as they enter downstage right. The worshippers seem to be excited about the forthcoming event. As they pass center stage, Akbar and Tansen quickly merge with the moving crowd and the congregation is well on its way as it exits upstage left.

The light changes as their voices fade down but not completely out. Downstage right, a Krishna idol is pushed in and placed facing upstage left on the diagonal. Two stand lamps are brought in simultaneously and these are lit. A soft spotlight is on the idol. Handmaidens scurry about setting the place for the puja. The voices of the congregation fade up as they enter, once again, upstage left. They repeat the last line of the song highlighting Mira's signature, continuously but softly, and begin to settle down. The congregation occupies in a crescent the upper left area of the stage, but spilling onto upstage right and downstage left. The center is left empty. Akbar and Tansen find themselves settling downstage left, close to the audience. Some are chatting softly, others are gazing at Krishna while a small group continues with the song. A few men, seated near Akbar and Tansen begin to chat excitedly.

Man #1: My friend, you have told me so much about Mira. Why is she not here?

Man #2: Surely you can wait a little, my friend. Though of royal birth, she has never kept us waiting past the appointed time of the puja...

Man #3: She has never kept Krishna waiting. You will see that for yourself when she comes...

Man #2: Listen to me, my friend, to be with Mira is to be with Krishna. I have seen it myself; she has the power to show Krishna to us...

Man #1: She can do that!

Man #2: Mark my words. But friend, be careful; this is not a spectacle or a circus but a miracle of the heart. It is an experience given only to a few. Are you ready for it?

Man #3: Look, here she comes...

There is a sudden hush as Mira, now dressed in white, enters with a garland and a tray of bhog. At Krishna's feet, she places the tray and lovingly puts the garland on Krishna. She turns to the congregation and smiles gently at them and then moves to centrestage to sit among the devotees. A maid hands her the tanpura, and she begins to strum it. Upstage right, three ladies dressed richly enter. The first is Uda Bhai, Mira's sister-in-law. She gestures contemptuously to her companions about Mira sitting in such close proximity with the filthy poor. She glares angrily at Mira's back. Mira, unaware of this bit of effect on her sister-in-law, begins to hum, the beginning of a song. Downstage left, Ravidass enters with a beatific smile on his face. Mira is immediately aware of his presence and gets up to receive him.

Mira: Guruji! [There is a bit of excitement among the devotees as Mira brings Ravidas to the center and helps him to sit down. Uda Bhai and her companions are even more shocked. Mira touches his feet reverently.] You bless us with your holy presence.

Ravidas: I have come to receive darshan of Krishna. You will show him to us.

He smiles at her, and nods knowingly. He then picks up the tanpura, all the time looking at Mira, and begins to strum it. Mira closes her eyes and hums - her song begins.

Mira: Mere to giridhara gopala dusara na koyi
Mata chodi, pita chode, chode saga soyi
Sadha sang baith baithlok laj khoyi
Santh dekh dowdi aayi
Jagat dekh royi
Prem aasu dar dar amar bel boyi
Marag me taran mile santh nam doyi
Santh sada sees par nam hridou hoyi
Ab tho bath phail gayi janou sab koyi
Dasi Mira lal giridhar honi so hoyi

["I have no one but Giridhar Gopal. I gave up my mother. I gave up my father, and gave up all my kith and kin. I gave up my shyness in the company of sages. I ran eagerly seeking the saints but the ways and manners of the world came in the way. Then I shed tears. Those tears have kept the creeper of love alive. Saints and the holy name of Sri Krishna were the guiding lights I found along my path. Sri Krishna from within and the saints from without have illumined my path. My Lord, this slave Mira is yours. And you are the goal she wishes to reach. Let people gossip as they please. What does it matter?"]

The congregation is immersed in a wave of devotion - each inspired by Mira's song to "reach out" to Krishna. Ravidas is still, with eyes closed, but tears run down his cheeks. As Mira sings, she performs abhinaya. Tansen and Akbar are moved beyond words, and forgetting himself, Tansen joins Mira on the refrain of the first line "mere to giridhara gopala" embellishing it many times, and Mira dances intoxicatingly to this. Tansen has found once again the divine core of his being and his artistry - and Mira's pure devotion and love for Krishna has shown it to him. The song comes to an end, and there is a moment when Mira and Tansen are gazing at each other, each recognizing the love for God in the other, but nothing is spoken. The enraptured congregation watches in silence. Udabhai and her ladies, however, have seen enough. They leave in a huff.

Tansen: Forgive me, saintly one, for intruding upon your puja. I forgot myself. Please accept my humble apologies.

Mira: Surely the apologies must come from me for my lack of courtesy shown to two very honoured guests. [Her intuition tells her that these are none other than Akbar and Tansen.] What a privilege to have the voice of heaven sing for Krishna!

Tansen: O, lady of purity, please say not so. I am only a humble musician, blessed by God to sing for my supper. [At this, Akbar arches his eyebrows, and Tansen is at a loss for words.]

Mira: Yours is a god-given gift indeed. But why sing for a man who will only give you your supper when you can sing for God and receive his divine treasure?

Tansen: The spirit is willing... ah... but the flesh is weak. [Akbar now glares at Tansen, who can only shrug his shoulders. Mira contemplates this for a moment.]

Mira, quietly: I am happy you have come. My Krishna is pleased.

Akbar: Pray, take this as a gift for the gift of your voice. [Gives Mira the pearl necklace he has been wearing.]

Mira, with a smile: Buying a song again? [Akbar is momentarily stunned, but regaining his composure quickly, he smiles at her.]

Akbar: Please do not misunderstand. It is my humble offering to your Lord Krishna for having such a devotee as you. [Mira holds the pearl necklace, looking at it.]

Mira: Pearls, gold, diamonds and rubies. Pomp and power. Fame and honour. What are these but sinking ships in an ocean of ills? [She looks at Krishna.] God is mysterious. He causes fools to be rulers and learned men to go about begging for food. [Ravidas smiles and nods to himself. Mira takes the necklace to Krishna, and with tears in her eyes, puts it around his neck. She sings, as if her heart is breaking,] Mere to giridhara gopala dusara na koyi... my lord, this slave Mira is yours, and you are her only goal. [She falls at the feet of Krishna.]

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home