Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mira - XII Night

NIGHT

Nightfall. On the banks of the Yamuna river. A rock under a tree. Mira is seen gathering flowers, buds and blossoms, and laying them carefully over a layer of huge leaves and ferns on the ground by the rock. When this is ready, she looks out at the audience and comes forward smiling, as if she can see Krishna coming to her. Happily she runs back to her "bower" and picks up a garland she had made. She comes forward again, a little shyly and yet yearningly, to her invisible Krishna who stands before her. She looks into his eyes and puts the garland over his head, and then, as if he is taking it off, she puts it on herself. She is the blushing bride, and she closes her eyes as she turns her face slightly to the audience, as if she is receiving a kiss from Krishna. She smiles at him.

Mira: Come to my bower, O my lord. Come to my fragrant bower of buds and blossoms and claim me as your bride. I have been slave to your love for so many births. You are everything to me. Mira's lord is Hari, the indestructible. Come, come to me. She sings.

You came to me once
Come to me again
You held me in your arms
Hold me once again
Come, my secret lover
Speak to me again
Now, I'm yours forever
Love me till the end

You gave your love to me
Set my soul flying free
Mira tasted love supreme
Or was that just a dream?

Alone, she dances, expressing the innermost feelings of her being. We see a soul enjoying the sense of freedom and joy that comes with knowing the deepest purest love. And yet, she knows that she must see the Krishna enshrined in her heart, for her very being longs for his touch.

You gave your love to me
Set my soul flying free
Mira tasted love supreme
Or was that just a dream?

Krishna!

She looks about desperately, tears running down her cheeks. She runs to her bower and falls onto her bed of flowers, sobbing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home